post

I decided to use one of the shutters I scored for the Sunflower shutter art I posted previously.  I received four beautiful new shutters for that piece.  They are taller and made from fir, (approx 12 w X 49 L).  All sanded and ready for detail.  No need  for re-purposing but beautiful canvases for me to design on.

I decided to try the same stain I used on the cedar shutter, which is on my experimental stain post.  I stained both sides and once dry I use a wet brush, (a brush dipped in water) and dabbed it with a blue-green latex paint.  I don’t recall the color exactly as I had it left over in my many paint supplies and may have mixed it with something else.  Once it was dry the color looked a bit similar to the other shutter but I loved the color so that’s always a great start.

I sat staring at it for a couple of days and even picked up my brushes and mixed color to start something and stopped.  The feeling wasn’t quite right.  Sometimes that’s frustrating but I’ve learned that if I listen to my instincts the results are more satisfying.

I was tending my flower pots in my garden and was admiring some of the flowers I had put in a few of my pots.  I started them from bulbs and I think they were some type of Lilly. Being no expert in flowers other than, “oh isn’t that pretty,” I don’t remember what they are called.  They have the most beautiful delicate white petals with a purple center.  They are not very large as compared to some Lilly’s and grow several on about 3 foot thinner stalks.

I was so entranced with the delicate beauty of the flowers I thought they would be wonderful painted on my shutter.  I took some pictures and went back in and stared again at my shutter and thought yes that’s it.  I had never painted a Lilly before but I was inspired and that’s all I needed to start.

It took me about three days to complete the painting and then I took another few days deciding if I should add something to it.  I decided it would make a nice welcome shutter and set to work placing my words.  I then finished off with two coats of Minwax Oil Modified Water based Polyurethane in clear satin.  I had left the sides last to clear coat and that’s where I was a little hasty.  I didn’t notice I had put a little too much on my brush and when I went back the next day to turn it over it was a bit stuck.  Well not so bad if it was the back but it was the front.  I carefully checked and there were some noticeable dots of clear coat on one side and a few spots on the edges.  I took out my fine sanding block and sanded it down.  I didn’t like what I was seeing right away so I sanded down to bare wood and made it look like an antique scuff.  People who do art come up with the most unique descriptions some times.  I chose a few other spots to add more “antique scuff”, cleaned it with a cloth, and once again gave it a clear coat.  I was more careful that time.

Some times things turn out better even if at first it feels like you might have to start over again.  I was very happy with the outcome.  I had left a fairy open spot on the top as I wanted to finish it off with some sort of embellishment.  I decided on a burlap bow which I simply tied on.  It can be removed replaced easily without harming the finish.  This would be a perfect welcome sign on a beautiful front porch.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *