I took last week off from my day job so I could get some pallet art ready for our local indoor Farmer’s Market. It’s a small event about 30 tables but the tables are usually booked well in advance. I’m just starting to become more or less a regular. I’m always happy when people come by and I hear wow or chat a bit with me about how I made something. A lot of people take my card and there are so many interesting people to meet.
I presented my clocks which are pictured in my DIY Clock category. I always seem to mix up DIY and to DYI, even if I say it out loud. Silly quirk of mine. Articles to come on my clocks. I am soon to start on a special project that I have rattling around in my head. A friend has moved to another Province and has commissioned me to make something special for them. I will catalogue that when I start. I’m excited to get it out of my head and do hands on work for the clock project.
Back to the pallet art. I finished three for the market and was really happy with them. My sunflower one was a big hit and sold. I find that I’m not used to painting on wood so it has been a bit of a challenge but it’s all about developing a technique so that’s exciting to me. The other thing I love doing is coming up with a catchy saying, that’s not to say that I haven’t used a common one or perhaps did a play of words from something I have read. I’ve always loved simple poetry and put my emotions into my art and sayings.
The Black Wish one I love. The pallet wood I’m sure is hard wood and the same stain was used on it as the Sunflower one. The wood also looked like it may have come from a diseased tree as it had groves in it like maybe ants or some sort of beetle. I guess maybe similar to the Pine Beetle infestation in British Columbia that was brought over from another country on a freighter. The wood from those trees has produced some very unusual patterns that is highly prized. Sometimes the grain or the character of the wood tells me what I should paint on it. On the smaller dandelion I followed the groves to create the curves of the head. Conveniently there was a knot hole almost center at the top so I added a burlap wire ribbon to complete it.
This one was a doodle I produced on a paper while at a previous farmer’s market. I decided to try a paint and stain to complete this piece. The wood on this one wasn’t really talking to me. I did start with the same stain I used on the other two but it looked boring to me. So I had some nice blue latex paint which I washed over the boards. When that was dry I randomly sanded, wiped off and put some outdoor barn door red stain over.
One of my neighbors has an “experimental dandelion” sign on their garden gate. I always liked her little sign. She’s elderly and her daughter, who lives with her, recently bought the house from her mom. I gave this one to them, they love it.
I used Patio paint on all of these including the lettering. Once all was dry I sprayed two to three coats of “Rust-Oleum Painters Touch” in matte clear finish.
I scored big at this event. A friend I used to work with, (I have a regular day job), has been off and on in touch with me had come across some shutters that she was going to put up on their home and some have a little water damage. When she was telling me the story I piped up and said I’d be happy to take any she didn’t feel she could use. We’ve been trying to connect for about a month and there she was coming across the floor with one of the shutters. Yeah!