post

While I was frantically deciding what to create for an upcoming local vendor event I came across my bag of tins I had picked up at a garage sale.  There was a tin with these beautiful little angels on them.  I think it was either a Christmas chocolate or cookie tin.  I pulled it out of the bag not knowing exactly what I was going to do with it but inspiration was forming in my head.  As in my previous post I mentioned I was struggling with creating art or crafting.  I’ve decided that they are the same.  Oh so sorry I forgot to put my blinker on and turned slightly left!

Lets get back to the Angel Boards.  As I said I have been frantically trying to get ready for the event.  This event is the first one of this kind I’ve decided to try rather than only the local Farmer’s market.  After all it is fun to create but it is nice to know that others appreciate your work and help support you.  I thought this might be a way of getting a bit more exposure.

Prior to finding my tin bag in preparation for this event I had spent a whole Sunday sanding pallet boards.  Yes I do this manually.  Most of the time I don’t mind though it is sort of a Zen thing.  Once I’ve done the initial sanding with the belt sander I finish with the detail sander and it gives me a connection with the wood and what it might create for me.  Is that weird?  My husband bless his heart had done the brute work of taking the pallets apart and I have a nice bin full that I hope will keep me going most of the winter.  One of the boards I had sanded was quite thick and I spent a little extra time sanding it.  I had put it aside from the others and had already decided it would be a stand alone piece.

Once I had my angel tin and knowing I had that board waiting for me to give it something unique it didn’t take but two seconds to inspire me.  I cut out the Angels from the tin.  I started with tin snipes to get the initial part of the tin cut and flattened out.  I can’t seem to get the hang of tin snipes.  Maybe I just need more practice with them.  To cut the angels out of my flattened piece I tried a pair of multi-purpose snipes I got fairly cheap from the hardware store.  I was very happy with how they cut and didn’t leave a really sharp edge on the tin.

I had given my board a spay of a nice blue Krylon paint.  You can see I didn’t completely cover the board out to the edges giving it a nice effect.  I placed the Angel on the board approximately where I wanted to put her.  I didn’t glue her down at this point, just placed her to get the area where I needed to paint.  I mixed some poster paint to make her halo and then proceeded to paint her dress.  I wanted some depth so I mixed in some Liquitex ultra matte gel to thicken the paint.  I layered the paint and used a painters trowel to push the paint around until I was satisfied.  Once that was done I gently curved my angel tin, to give her some depth and used Gorilla glue to glue the edges down.  To make sure she didn’t move I placed some clamps on the edge of the tin and let the paint and glue set overnight.

The next day I added the ribbons.  I used Mod Podge to glue them down.  I wasn’t sure how that was going to turn out but it was the only thing I could think of that would hold and not discolor the ribbon.  Once I was satisfied I tied a ribbon around the tin and dress to finish her off.  I loved how she turned out so much I was excited to make her twin.  The tin had two angels so of course I had to make another one.

For those of you in the area the event is the Bonnyville House and Home and the C2 center hosted by Cari Cain.

Hope you enjoy and happy DIY!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *