If you remember or read my previous post here’s a wonderful little project using the same technique of burning!I used my already burned boards from my previous technique.
I decided I would try an already very favorite media for some using buttons. Most are used on canvas but of course I needed to try this on my wood. This post has a bit more of what not to do than to do. But it worked out wonderfully in the end so it is a fairly forgiving technique. I had already stenciled on my wording.
I chalked out my design, and outlined the tree trunk and limbs using acrylic paint, in black and a frosty brown. I first dipped a stenciling brush in a fairly bright yellow and dotted the tree all around. I then mixed a moss green with a dot of black to mottle it. It didn’t turn out and the way I wanted it to once I started putting on the buttons. I wanted the buttons to pop but with the yellow it wasn’t happening. I did leave a hint of the yellow more towards the outside of the tree globe.I then carefully added the mixed green and black all into the globe area being careful not to color the buttons with the paint. To glue the buttons on I used Gorilla glue. Wonderful stuff! Once I had all the buttons in place just the way I wanted I covered the exposed areas with Minwax oil Modified water based Polyurethan. My that is a long title, but I like the result and it is what I had handy.
I will have this one showing at our next local Farmer’s Market.